Who to Inform When Moving House

Moving house is a tricky and complicated ordeal, and it’s important to inform the right people that you are moving – but who exactly do you need to tell? Here’s a list of important people and organisations to contact when you’re moving house.

Who to inform when moving house?

Career Related

Informing your employer is an important stage of moving house for a range of reasons. Some employers will be more understanding than others, so it’s important to keep them in the loop to coordinate your work and home life around this time. During the house move process, you can expect to have some time off as well as take lots of phone calls to arrange everything needed for your new property.

It’s also important to let your employer know that you’re moving house so they can update your contact details, and make sure your payroll information and insurance are all up to date.


Local Authorities

Your local authorities are next on the list of people that you should inform when moving house. You’ll need to update your council tax address and make sure you’re paying the correct rate for your new location. It’s also important to contact both the electoral roll and the department of work and pensions (especially if you’re claiming money or pensions from the government)



Services relating to your household need to be told of your address move to transfer things like broadband or phone services to your new property, as well as updating your contact and billing information. For phones and landlines specifically, you’ll need to contact your provider to arrange a new number or to see if you can keep your old number and this is usually done at the same time as sorting your broadband.

It’s also worth asking about a better deal for your broadband as different locations offer different packages and you might be able to get an upgrade while paying less each month.

TV Licences are also non-transferrable and you’ll need to change your address with them to re-register your tv licence.



If you have a driver’s licence, and own and drive a vehicle, there are a few different people to inform when you move house. Firstly, notify the DVLA of your new address to update your driving licence so that it remains a valid form of ID. You should also inform your car insurance company, to make sure your policy stays up to date and valid, as well as your V5C Vehicle Log Book – Which is another legal requirement for vehicle tax purposes. Forgetting to update your V5C and tax documents can result in a fine of up to £1000.

If you have breakdown cover, you should also update that policy with your new address to ensure your car is covered when you move.



If you have children in education, their schools, colleges and universities will also need to be informed so they too can update their contact information. Similarly to informing employers, children could experience some disruption at school around this time so it’s important to keep teachers informed so they’re in the loop and understand why some unexpected absences might occur.

It’s extra important to inform universities if you’re changing addresses so they can ensure tuition fees are sent to the right address.



Informing healthcare providers is important, especially if you’re moving long distances or to a completely new town or city. As a priority, you should inform your ‘old’ doctors surgery, as well as contact your desired ‘new’ doctors’ surgery to make sure all of your files and contact details are transferred seamlessly.

You will also need to do this for your dentist as well as opticians (if relevant) to make sure all of your files and medical history is sent to the correct place. Lastly, vets also need to be informed if you have any pets.



These days there are insurance policies for almost everything, and for some policies, it’s really important to ensure your address is up to date. Common policies include health insurance, home/contents insurance, life insurance, travel insurance and pet insurance. For a lot of policies (especially house/contents insurance), if your address is wrong then your policy could be void in the event that you need to make a claim.

Regardless of the policy you are updating, it is also worth checking if you can get a better deal as a lot of insurers take your postcode into account, so you could end up getting a better deal or better coverage when you do update your address with them.



If you’re lucky enough to employ different service providers for your property, such as cleaners, gardeners, window cleaners, etc. you will also need to inform them of your new address so that they can update their records and continue providing services as usual. If you don’t do this, they’ll be turning up at your ‘old’ property very confused, and presumably, still charge you!

It’s also worth informing any delivery companies you use – such as Amazon, to ensure your deliveries all go to your new address instead of your old one.



You need to update your banks or building societies with your new address as close to your moving date as possible. Your address is a very important factor when protecting your identity and securing your account, so it’s important to make sure it’s up to date.

Similarly, if you have any credit cards, loans, finance or stocks and bonds, etc, you should update all relevant people that your address has changed.



Finally, your utility companies need to be made aware of your new address to ensure that all of your bills are sent to the right place. This includes gas, electricity and water.

It’s important to inform your current provider but also worth researching other providers in the area you’re moving to – as prices can vary drastically between them. Even if you decide to stay with the same company, it’s still worth checking as you may be eligible for a better deal at your new address.

Get a Removals Quick Quote